Human Givens Psychology
A New Approach
Effective – Practical & Research-Based
When our important emotional needs aren’t met, we can become anxious, addicted and depressed ~ Griffin & Tyrrell
Human Givens is an ‘organising idea’. In other words, it builds on well-established theories, principles and known effective techniques in psychology and counselling.
Maybe therapy was the last thing you ever wanted. Perhaps you don’t like talking about your problems, or you think no one can help you anyway. Maybe you’ve tried it and it didn’t work.
Is it becoming increasingly difficult to hide your distress?
Have you run out of steam and finally feel willing to consider counselling, however reluctantly?
There are so many Benefits of Human Givens Psychotherapy.
Human Givens therapy can help you to:
- Feel happier, lighter and more energetic
- Understand why you were depressed and how to prevent it
- Feel calmer
- Find relief from (traumatic) stress symptoms
- Feel better – recover from fears and phobias or heal trauma
- Find relief from previously ‘bottled up’ feelings
- Enhance your social skills
- Bring your essential emotional needs more into balance
- Increase your awareness of your innate and acquired resources
- Increase your confidence and self esteem
Treating you differently
A human givens therapist works in a very solution-focused way and you can expect the following kind of experience:
- make counselling/therapy as painless as possible
- not dwell on the past unnecessarily
- aim to help you to feel better after every consultation
- give information and advice if needed
- explain how your brain works with regards to emotion
- help you to access the same relaxed state as when you dream
- increase your knowledge without jargon or ‘psychobabble’
- use a variety of techniques as appropriate
- calm high levels of emotions as soon as possible
- encourage new understandings and solutions
- adapt the therapy flexibly and uniquely for you
- avoid using a ’preferred’ theory regardless of your problems
- support you when difficult feelings emerge without dwelling on them
- be aware of research in psychology, neurobiology and counselling
- help you overcome your problems in as few sessions as possible
- consider the effects of therapy on the people close to you
- teach you to relax deeply
I am always open about my thought process and the approaches I use because I consider the work to be collaboration.
Here are some of the issues I work with:
- Emerging from depression
- Becoming less anxious, more relaxed, more confident
- Healing traumatic memories that may be inhibiting or upsetting you in the present
- Improving your relationship with yourself
- Improving your relationship with others
- Taming a harsh inner critic
- Mastering panic attacks
- Overcoming phobias
- Grieving in a healthy way
- And other issues as well
Regardless of the issues, my overall goal is to provide a place that is welcoming and confidential where you can engage with a skilled psychotherapist to create positive changes in your life.
My Unique Approaches
I don’t confine myself to any single theoretical orientation. I utilize a variety of approaches favouring brief solution focused (BSF) methods. My goal is to ensure that you get the changes you want effectively and as quickly as possible.
My practice is influenced by Positive psychology, Human Givens psychology, Internal Family Systems, Focusing, Emotional Intelligence, Positive NeuroPlasticity Therapies and Hypnosis.
It's All About You
I may have a favorite theory or therapeutic technique that I tend to use more often or fall back on, but I am always willing to and often use all that are available to me.
After all, the key here is to help the client as quickly and as effectively as possible ~ Not to pigeon-hole them into some set way of looking at all people, whether it works for them or not.
Contact me if you could benefit from a therapist who will work with you to find the solutions that YOU want, efficiently and effectively.